- Mountain House® freeze-dried foods are packed in airtight NITROGEN PACKED pouches.
- Up to 98% of the residual oxygen has been removed.
- Our unique packaging process uses both vacuum oxygen removal and nitrogen flushing.
- For best results, avoid prolonged storage at temperatures about 75° F (24° C).
- Mountain House pouches have a shelf life of 10-12 years.*
- After opening, we recommend using the contents within 1 week for best results and taste; using the convenient resealable package between uses.
- Treat any leftover food as you would fresh food.
- Our freeze-dried foods are easy to prepare-just add hot water...wait 10 minutes...and eat!
- If a heat source is not available, room temperature or cold water can be used, too.
- Because no cooking is needed, these foods require much less water and fuel than most fresh, frozen or dehydrated foods (further conserving these two precious commodities.)
Allergens identified here include only the Food and Drug Administration's defined major food allergens. We make every effort to ensure that our nutrition and allergen information is complete and up to date. However, because this information may change from time to time, please refer to the actual pouch or can label for the most accurate information available.
Longest Proven Shelf Life. Period
We take pride in the shelf life of Mountain House freeze-dried foods. Our nearly 50-year history of using top-quality ingredients, the highest processing standards, and premium packaging materials allows for a shelf life that is unmatched.
We are the only brand to fully cook our meals before freeze drying. We make our meals like you do at home, in a cookpot (granted ours is a tad bit bigger), which allows the flavors to mix just right like your meals do at home.
Our food also doesn't sit in the warehouse forever either. This means when you buy our food from us, it will still have the longest shelf life in the industry.
The rest is up to you: store food under dry, sanitary conditions, without prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures and avoiding any environment that could cause damage to the packaging, such as punctures, dents, or rust. Simply follow these common sense storage tips and you will have emergency food when you need it.
Best Survival, Long Term Emergency Food On The Market
Based on our ongoing sensory and nutrition testing of actual Mountain House products, in 2014 the shelf life was increased by an impressive 20%, from 10+ years to 12+ years!
We add the "+" to let our consumers know that our food will taste virtually indistinguishable from new for at least 12 years and probably much longer than that! We've tasted pouches that were 30 years old and the food was still quite tasty!
Remember that we recommend storing your pouches unopened and avoid prolonged exposure to temperatures above 75° (24°C) to maximize shelf life.
*Ice cream products have a 2-year shelf life.